Thursday, March 5, 2009

Arizona Wild Beauty


I drove through Arizona with my two girls in 2004, but didn't get a chance see the
Going to the Raw Spirit Festival seemed like a good excuse to go again.
I discovered that not all rocks in Arizona were red.
I found rocks in burgundy, green, orange, yellow, and black...
I finally met my first Saguaro Cactus, up close and personal.
I discovered that as long as I used my GPS, I had no clue where I was. (haha)
I discovered that the farther away from town I got, the prettier it got.

I was surprised by this little guy who found the flower before me.
The skies were intensely blue there.
All kinds of things growing.
I picked my own mesquite with plans to grind it when I got home. See recipe below.
I think this river view was on one of my postcards.

Somebody was already at the riverside having a morning dip.

One lonely dark green pine cone lying on the river side.

Early mornings with the promise of something new happening just around the corner.

Maple Mesquite Walnuts:

Soak 3 cups of walnuts for a few hours 
(this makes them less bitter)
Dehydrate them for a few hours 
(this makes them more absorbent)

Blend until creamy:

1/2 cup water
1/2 cup mesquite
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 tsp celtic sea salt
1 tsp cinnamon

pour over walnuts in a bowl
stir them gently until coated
lay out on dehydrator sheets overnight

Let them cool before storing in an airtight container.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos, my beautiful friend! Our dog loved the mesquite so much she searched it out in my bags and chowed down! LOL

The recipe sounds YUMMY!

Lots of love to you,

Wendi
XOXOXO

Debra said...

Loved all of the photos!